Thomas Freedman was born in Portland, Oregon. He attended Portland State University, where he wrote for the Portland State Vanguard, and earned a Bachelor of Arts in English in 1994. In 1995, Mr. Freedman moved to New York City and attended Fordham Law School, where he was a member of the Fordham Law Review. Mr. Freedman graduated from Fordham with distinction in 1998.
After graduating law school, Mr. Freedman joined the law firm of Chadbourne & Parke LLP, located in Rockefeller Center in midtown Manhattan. At Chadbourne, Mr. Freedman was a member of the commercial litigation and intellectual property departments, where he garnered significant trial and appellate experience. In addition, Mr. Freedman was a member of Chadbourne’s Pro Bono Committee, and litigated numerous cases involving civil rights and constitutional law, including First Amendment issues.
In 2005, Mr. Freedman went to work for Oved & Oved LLP, a boutique law firm located in the SoHo district of Manhattan, where he specialized in business and real estate litigation, intellectual property, and First Amendment/media law. At Oved & Oved, Mr. Freedman litigated matters for small businesses and individuals in the SoHo District and surrounding community, including real estate developers, photographers, artists, gallery owners, restaurants, nightclubs, apparel and garment designers, commercial tenants and store owners, start-up companies, education and non-profit organizations, architects, graphic designers, writers, publishing houses, magazines, condominium and co-op associations, investors and entrepreneurs, hotels, and theater companies. Mr. Freedman maintains on ongoing relationship with Oved & Oved LLP, and encourages potential clients with New York connections to learn more about the Oved firm at www.ovedlaw.com.
Mr. Freedman founded Pearl Law LLC to provide high quality, cost-effective litigation services tailored to Portland’s business, real estate and arts communities. In addition, Mr. Freedman is deeply committed to protecting the freedoms guaranteed by the First Amendment and to preventing censorship and governmental interference with speech and press. Pearl Law LLC offers litigation services in the following practice areas:
- First Amendment & Media Law
- Business & Real Estate Litigation
- Criminal Defense
- Entertainment, Arts & Technology Litigation
- Trademark & Copyright
- Civil Rights & Constitutional Law
- New York
- U.S.D.C. - Oregon
- U.S.D.C. - S.D.N.Y.
- U.S.D.C. - E.D.N.Y.
- U.S. Ct. App. - 2d Cir.
- U.S. Ct. App. - 7th Cir.
- U.S. Ct. App. - 9th Cir.
Activities & Affiliations
- Member, Oregon State Bar Association, Multnomah County Bar Association
- Member, Oregon Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
- Cooperating Attorney, ACLU of Oregon (First Amendment cases)
- Board Member, Friends of Ooligan Press (Portland State University’s student-run printing press)
Publications & Presentations
- Commentator, KOIN News, First Amendment Expert
- Commentator, KOIN News, Kyron Horman Story
- Commentator, KOIN News, DUII Issues
- Presenter, Copyright Basics & The Fair Use Doctrine, Oolicon: Write to Publish Conference 2009, Portland State University
- Quoted in, Portland Business Journal, Boutique Litigation Firms Offer Clients an Alternative, Courtney Sherwood, September 18, 2009
- Business & Commercial Litigation in Federal Courts (contributor), Second Edition, West & ABA, 1999-2005
- Eugene Magazine, free-lance film critic, 2008 – 2010 (“Seen on Screen”)
Working knowledge of Spanish